4/10/2007

Some progress regarding people keeping guns in the home

With all the garbage put out in the media, it is amazing to me that people's perception of the benefits of having guns in the home have been increasing. Going from 35 percent in 2000 to 47 percent in 2006 is a real change, though I feel sure that if this poll had been done in the 1950s it would have been in the 70 or 80 percent range.

When asked whether a gun in the house makes the house safer or more dangerous, 47% said safer in October 2006 - up from 35% in August 2000 and 42% in October 2004.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Not Available said...

John, I'm skeptical of polls. I've read that polls can go one way or another just on how the questions are phrased.

I like the result of this Pew poll. In your opinion, are the polls conducted by Pew reliable?

4/11/2007 8:00 AM  
Blogger John Lott said...

Dear Don:

I am not sure, though I do agree that this doesn't fit my perceptions either. The difference in the numbers are suffficiently large that it just isn't due to randomness, but I am not sure what to attribute the change to. Just because I would like people to be safer, I hope that it is true.

4/11/2007 9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home