8/01/2007

Man stops two pit bulls attacking his dog by using his gun

From Gainesville, Florida:

A Gainesville man awoke to the sounds of a dog fight early Monday. When he walked outside, he found his dog locked in the jaws of a large pit bull.

"I'm sound asleep and my wife says there's a dog fight in the yard," said Fletcher Sutton, 58. "And within 90 seconds I find myself standing in the yard in my bathrobe with a knife in one hand, a gun in the other and a dog dead between my legs."

Sutton and his grandson, Robert Koehler, 16, reacted quickly when they found their 110-pound Labrador-Mastiff mix being attacked by two pit bulls, the larger of which had clamped down on the dog's neck.

"We tried to beat him off, we tried to kick him off, and it was like it was to the death," Sutton said.

Lt. Scott Meffen with the Gainesville Police Department said they arrived at the home, 2415 SE 11th Ave., around 7:30 a.m. Monday to find a large black pit bull shot twice in the head. Sutton's dog had wounds to his neck and two front legs from the fight.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The guy is lucky:
1) that he had a gun to take
2) that he took the gun

There were a couple of times before I escaped from farming that I had dogs that had brought a sheep down, charge me to defend their prize.

The guy is lucky that he didn't get attacked himself when trying to fight the dogs off.

Fortunately every dog that I ever shot went straight down and stayed down, even with .22rf (not my first choice for dogs but it was the first gun I could get out of the security cabinet one time). I wouldn't have liked to try it at less than 20 yards though.

Much as I love my own dogs, someone else's pooch with something it values is going to fight you to keep it, and if has adrenaline going, the safest way to tackle it is with a hot lead injection. I've done it more than a dozen times (There is no joy in it and I reported all to the local police, within 24 hours, as required).

Keith

8/03/2007 12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home