2/11/2009

North Carolina State University students push for carrying on campus

The whole article is here:

NCSU students want to pack heat on campus
Posted: Feb. 10, 2009
RALEIGH, N.C. — Some North Carolina State University students are wearing empty gun holsters on campus this week to protest a state law prohibiting them from carrying concealed weapons on campus.
"Everyone should be given a right to defend themselves no matter where they are," said Daryl Johnson, a member of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, a national group that gained attention in the wake of the massacre of 32 students on the Virginia Tech campus in April 2007.
"We are just trying to show that we are law-abiding citizens. We carry off campus, or we support carrying off campus," Johnson said.
Nearly 128,000 concealed carry permits have been issued in North Carolina since 1995, including 8,300 in Wake County, according to the State Bureau of Investigation.
About 20 members of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus are taking part in the empty holster protest this week, he said. Similar protests are expected on other college campuses in North and South Carolina and Virginia, he said. . . . .

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Because guns should be in an area where young people get drunk commonly.

2/11/2009 11:52 PM  
Blogger John Lott said...

Dear forthesakeofscience:

You claim to be interested in science, but you make claims with no factual basis. You are afraid about something that might happen. Prior to the mid1990s students were regularly allowed to bring guns onto campuses. There are currently large universities that do so also. Please provide me with one example where a drunk college student with a concealed handgun permit caused some type of problem. Just provide me with a single example please. I don't believe that there are any.

2/12/2009 1:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The issue I raised has nothing to do with concealed gun permits. It has to do with guns on campus at all. Please refrain from further strawmen.

The number of issues with guns being present on campuses are numerous. Suicides, something which make up a substantial number of gun deaths, are most common in or around the college age group. Inviting guns on campus, aside from asking for the occasional accident, begs for bullets to end the lives of depressed 18-24 year olds. Need I cite you the fact that the presence of guns dramatically increases the likelihood of suicides?

2/13/2009 2:00 AM  
Blogger Martin G. Schalz said...

'forthesakeofscience'. An interesting nom de guerre, but not a correct one.

Cite away. Please!

After crunching the numbers, I was very suprised at the low percentage of deaths that are actually caused by firearms. All firearm related deaths. Not just suicides.

Using 2005 death stats, I calculated firearm deaths at 1.25% of all deaths. I am a wee bit rusty at this, and I may be wrong here. If I am wrong, please provide proof, and I will issue a public apology.

All of my data was based upon what I could find via google.

Death stats were sourced from: http://webapp.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/mortrate.html

I would not be suprised if I fouled this up. After all, I am a programmer, not a mathematician.

2/13/2009 3:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Martin, you wholly miss my point with your citations. Beside that, you method is, frankly, dumb. The number of deaths related to the terrorist attacks of 9/11 were somewhere far below 1% of all deaths per year. I guess we can just marginalize that event, right?

Anyway, for my citation, take your pick.

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=suicide+rates+gun+&fr=yfp-t-305&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8

2/18/2009 1:41 AM  
Blogger Martin G. Schalz said...

Death by Firearms 2005; 30,693

2,447,900; Total Number of deaths in the U.S.

(30,693 / 2,447,900) * 100 = 1.25385024%

Math Dumb. forthesakeofscience smart. Me dumb. He/she smart.

Me use math, forthesakeofscience use bull poop.


Let's see. I used a mathematical method to show that firearms deaths are very low when placed into perspective.

I never claimed that the overall sucide rate would go up simply because we allow firearms on a college campus. Even if it did, what impact will it have on the overall death rate?

I give you an example of facts, and how they are calculated, and you say that I am dumb, whilst continuing on with your inane rhetoric.

Yeah, the World Trade center is really on topic here.

Your overblown concern about a few firearms deaths is an excuse to deny freedom to all. Or have I missed your point?

2/18/2009 7:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home